Monday, February 01, 2010

Life Returns to Normal

Once again, I wanted to say how much I appreciate all the kind words from the readers here—they have consoled me in a way you can’t imagine. Thank you very very much.

My mother passed away yesterday evening at 7pm my time. I was boarding a plane on the final leg of my trip back home when my sister called me. She was there when mom breathed her final breath. For my sister, it was a surreal experience. I am sure she will remember that special moment for the rest of her life.

My sister and I have grown closer during this last week together. We plan to see each other more, and for this I can once again thank my mother for bringing Patty and I together.

Now, it is time for me to return to the “real world.” I enjoyed being with Devin, Caitlin and Susan last night. It was nice to kiss their cheeks and feel their hugs. When it comes down to it, all we really have is family. I have a great family. For this, I am truly thankful.

I have a busy week ahead, even though I kept up with as much work as possible during the last week. We’ve got to plan for our Super Saints Super Bowl party on Sunday, and I’ve got to get to the thrift stores to find me a dress ;) I’ve been through a very reflective and somewhat sad personal week—I really need the normality of work and the “high” of the Saints and New Orleans to bring me back.

I can’t wait for this weekend—I’ve got a real good feeling about the game.

8 comments:

Dyinetch said...

I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm sure you're all gonna be okay, knowing your mom is in a better place.

Hope you all feel better soon.

Serendipity said...

Thank you for so candidly sharing this heart wrenching journey! You have been there for your family and now it's time to be gentle with yourself.
The ItStartsWith.Us team may not be out in force everyday, but we're all behind you all the way!

lfar said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll keep you and your sister in my thoughts.

Jaxie Fantastic said...

*collective hugs from the blogosphere*

you're in all our thoughts during this tough time.

lifelove'n'wine said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad that you are able to be home again with your family during this tough time, and that something good (a closer relationship to your sister) came out of this.

Tasha said...

I'm sorry to hear that your mother passed away, but know that she is in a much better place now. I'm glad this experience has brought you and your sister closer.
Hope you have a great weekend - you deserve to have some you time and enjoy yourself.
I really admire you for taking such good care of your mum, and for being able to share your experiences so openly with us, thank you.

Take care

Nate St. Pierre said...

Thank you for sharing during this tough time, Bill. We ALL learned a lot from your generosity this past week.

Jess @ Openly Balanced said...

Welcome back to the "real world." I am so sorry for your loss, but glad that your mother is no longer suffering. What a gift that you and your sister have grown closer through this process - I imagine that your mother would have loved that. Best wishes from my family to yours.