Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Oliver, Oliver, Oliver....

Disappointed.
That’s how I feel now that Oliver Thomas has pled guilty to bribery charges. I thought he was above all that. Well, it appears that the political culture of the city even permeates to the good guys. He was a great advocate of affordable housing, though I was disappointed in his cashing in on the St. Thomas debacle. But, you would always see him around town at all the wwoz events or anything having to do with the culture of the city. He was here digging people out of harms way after the storm, lost his brother to the storm, and had to deal with therapy afterwards. But, honestly, the graft he engaged in occurred before the storm. I wonder how long it will be before the Morial clan is brought into this scandal. And for what gain? Other than to illustrate the obvious—that Huey Long taught all in politics that when doing whatever good for your ideology, you can take some for yourself.

Prediction: The next person to go down? Former Director of Finance for the Morial Administration--Sheriff Gustman. Not a better person to go down, as far as I'm concerned. A real criminal....

Truly sad, really.

By the way, notwithstanding Hurricane Dean, what are you all planning to do for Katrina Year 2 celebrations? I’m actually going to do a Huey Long birthday party here in Tex-Ass. If you want to come on up here, drop me a line and I’ll send you directions to the house.

No comments: