Monday, February 20, 2006

Monday Morning Jazz Set

As some of you know, I was a DJ at WWOZ prior to the hurricane. I really enjoyed the shows and have only recently started to begin my research on jazz again. Here is the show playlist of albums (and some selected singles) I would be playing today if I was on the air. I will try to update this on a weekly basis--there seems to be a good amount of jazz out there right now.

Four Classical Jazz Pieces:
1. John Coltrane, My Favorite Things, My Favorite Things
2. Horace Silver, Song For My Father, Song For My Father
3. Thelonious Monk, Well You Needn’t, Monk’s Mood
4. Cannonball Adderley, Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, Live at the Club

The Charlie Parker Set:
Taken this week from Disk 6 in the Complete Savoy and Dial Studio Recordings
1. Bird Feathers
2. Klactoveesedstene
3. Scrapple From the Apple
4. My Old Flame

New Releases:
1. Jae Sinnett, The Sinnett Hearings
Yes, indeed. One of my top picks for this year. Exactly what I look for in a jazz cd. Great drummer, great band.
2. Ray Marchica, In the Ring
Another percussionist—hitting the mark dead on. Great CD. Another one on my top list for this year.
3. Shahida Nurullah, The Ruby and the Pearl
Nice, very nice. Great vocalist, with artists backing her up that don’t take away from her sound.
4. Edsel Gomez, Cubist Music
I continue to be impressed with Zoho Music and their artists.
5. Chris Stewart, Phoenix: A Tribute to Cannonball Adderly
A nice sound, a good tribute to Cannonball.
6. Laura Caviana, Going There
A Very nice sound. A very good cd.

New Orleans Artists
1. Various, Our New Orleans
2. Marlon and Stephanie Jordan, You Don’t Know What Love Is
3. Donald Harrison, New York Cool
4. Wynton Marsalis, Amongst The People
5. Various, Higher Ground
6. Christian Scott, Rewind This

Latin
1. Brian Lynch Latin Jazz Sextet, Conclave
I haven’t heard it, but I’m sure I would love it. Add to the playlist.
2. Jerry Gonzalez and the Ft. Apache Band, Rumba Buhaina
Again, I haven’t heard it, but I’m sure I would love it. Add to playlist.
3. Trio da Paz, Somewhere
A nice sound, soft and subtle, but with a wonderful Brazilian flair.
4. LUIS OCHOA, Cimarron
A nice cd, very “Cuban.” If you don’t get up and dance to this cd, you’re dead.
5. CARLOS BARBOSA-LIMA, Carioca
Recently released, I would give it a listen.
6. Ibrahim Ferrer, Buenos Hermanos.

Banzai Bill’s 2006 Top List To Date:
1. Jae Sinnett, The Sinnett Hearings
2. Ray Marchica, In the Ring
3. Shahida Nurullah, The Ruby and the Pearl
4. Edsel Gomez, Cubist Music

No comments: