Wednesday, February 08, 2006

And the hits keep coming...

I just received this "testimonial" from one of my students who is currently residing-in-exile in Houston. I guess we've "overextended" our stays in our communities-in-exile. Terrible thing is, well, we got nowhere to go.... So, you better get used to us in your neighborhoods--we aren't changing....

Hello Dr. White:
I'm e-mailing you in response to the message left on the class's discussion board. As I mentioned previously, being here in houston has definitely not presented what i thought that the 4th largest city in america would have presented. In all honestly I believe i would rather roughing in out in n'awlins than be here, but when you are responsible for others, their welfare becomes primary and everything else comes second, if at all. Just this morning when calling for a job lead, the recruiting lady said after asking if i had 2 forms of i.d. and i said i had my ss.card and a LA driver's lic. that "we're not in the business of giving jobs away to you new orleans people" and that "you're going to have test like everyone else and if you evacuated with no transportation, don't bother cause we need to know that you will show up on time to the site with no excuses." so it's back to the drawing board as far as trying to find a job.

I even tried to participate in this federally funded program that was recruiting specifically to the hurricane evacuees. It's called, "Surviving Katrina and Rita in Houston" and people come dwon from the Library of Congress and teach selected evacuees for forty-fifty hrs. in 5 or 6 days at the Univ. of Houston how to effectively interview and work a video camera, tape recorder, etc. Then after the week of instruction evacuees then must find ten people to interview and transcribe each interview and then after the directors okayed the final product, you got paid 2250.00 Well after i passed the first phase a graduate student from Tulane interviewed me and asked me about my experiences so far. after i gave her three or four examples of what i had experienced b/c we only had like 5-6 mins. to talk to her, she said that she was sorry for my experiences, but the project was looking for interviews not only of people who had evacuated to houston, but to highlight houston churches who did alot for the evacuees and businesses that pitched in or whatever, the new communities that formed and what contributions are the survivors making. To me, it seemed like there was a slant to what was supposed to come out of this whole project. I know that my personal truth is that i can't hardly do any thing without feeling like i'm being watched or scrutinized. I thought that as time passed, we would be more accepted, however on this past saturday, i went to purchase my two brothers each a pr. of shoes, well when the lady took my debit card and asked for my i.d. i asked was the store giving a discount to La. residents, the woman behind me huffed and puffed and said, "well if you have money to be buying those name brand shoes, you obviously don't need a damn discount. this is my city and if i have to pay full price, then you should have too as well. you in texas now baby, so act like it. oh and by the way "[a ticket] for failure to produce a texas driver's license will cost you at least 150.00" i was so pissed that the lady at the counter didn't say anything, i just left the shoes there, but the other clerk next to her said she would give me the employee discount for the actions of the other customer. i mean everyday it's literally something, it makes my head hurt. sorry for going on and on dr. white, i don't have any friends or family or anybody in texas and it's just mind blowing the effort that alot people seem to be placing on harrassing hurricane evacuees. e-mail me back when you can....

No comments: